Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday- Books to Re-read


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers’ answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment.
If you can't come up with ten, don't worry about it---post as many as you can!
This week's topic:
Top Ten Books I want to Reread
 

1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling- I've lost count how many times I have read this series, but it's never enough times to get tired of it. This is one of my two favorite series.

2. The Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkien- Did you guess that this is my other favorite series? Then you guessed right! I love the imagery, imagination, and action of the LOTR series.

3. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky- I first read Crime and Punishment in high school. From that point on, I was hooked on 19th Century Russian literature... which is why I took a class in college on the Masterpieces of 19th Century Russian literature. It was my favorite class during my undergraduate career, and I am not a literature/english major. And my love affair with Russian lit all started in high school with Crime and Punsihment. Every time I read it, I find some new way to look at Raskolnikov or discover a new aspect to the story. It's wonderful!

4. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell- I first read this in this past December. It now competes with Crime and Punishment as my favorite book and I definitely want to reread it soon.

5. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton- This is a beautifully written and tragic book that I fell in love with in high school and continue to read it every couple of years.

6. Little Women by Loisa May Alcott- I read this back in elementary school. I remember liking it but thinking it was a little boring. I've been feeling a strong urge recently to read it again and see what my adult self thinks of it.

7. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy- I read this during my Masterpieces of 19th Century Russian Literature course as well. It's a wonderful book and I highly recommend Tolstoy.

8. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy- I read this back in high school but I would love to read it again since I now have a much larger Russian history/fiction background to compare it to. I think I would get more from it than when I read it the first time.

9. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand- This is one of those books that people either love or hate. They may love or hate it because of its political stance or large size. I love it for both! I've read it twice now, once in high school and once rather recently, but I could always get right back into it again. Maybe I'll read it next year as we gear up for the Presidential elections, that seems a little fitting since we need to pick a great leader.

10. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot- I think this is a wonderfully written piece of work about the true story of Henrietta Lacks and her legacy to science. Since I am in the scientific, and soon to be, healthcare field, it's also a great cautionary tale about the importance of patient rights and privacy. I think it's something that anyone in the science field should read and be reminded about.

Let me know what you're 10 ten rereads are!



1 comment:

  1. The Harry Potter series will always have a special place in my heart as well. I'd gladly reread them multiple times.

    One series I haven't attempted to reread yet is LOTR. A lot of bloggers actually included this series and now I'm sort of thinking about re-reading it.

    And Little Women! It used to be one of my favorite books and must be revisited. ;)

    ReplyDelete